We are smart and broke
sitting side by side
on the steps of a shrine
of a saint who might save us,
we see couples kiss
in the Cathedral’s courtyard.
They say we are essentially alone
but you keep showing up to things.
The thunderstorm explodes the garden
in galactic sprays of light,
droplets sparking off dark leaves.
off everything holy and white:
five statues, thirteen geese.
I look to you.
Sister, some god’s illuminating
the curve of your smile
probably mine too.
Mikayla and I are walking our way around Barcelona for the week. We’re running on low funds and maximum sight seeing. Here’s a rundown of what’s happened so far:
1. Emormous amounts of street-gawking. Balcony! Epic dreads! Dachshund!
2. Drinking a hot chocolate that was so thick it was hard to move my spoon through it to stir.
3. Getting lost. again. and again.
4. Stumbling upon Gaudi’s strange sand castle architecture of the Sagrada de Familia.
5. Watching a violent pigeon attack on the lawn outside the Castell de Montjuic.
6. Getting caught in the Barcelona Cathedral during a giant thunderstorm. More high class bird watching of the famous 13 geese who live there.
7. Smuggling sandwiches out of the hostel every morning. Upping the sandwich count from 1 to 2.
8. Getting asked to follow promoters to “coffee shops” which don’t sell coffee. They are places where you can buy into a weed-share program and smoke there as much as you want as long as you keep paying.